From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2017 - 22:16:35 CST

Dallas,
  Clearly the first image you posted was odd.
One thought I have that this might be caused by simultaneous use of both
Depth Cueing (Fog) and a background gradient. When you use Depth Cueing
or Fog, or similar shading techniques that try to emulate atmospheric
effects like light extinction or scattering, you may get a saturated
color long before you reach the background gradient, which is treated as
being at an infinite distance. I assume that this might be what happened
to you with the first try you did. You might try rendering with depth cueing
enabled/disabled and compare your outcome, I bet that was it.

If it wasn't caused by depth cueing, then I don't have any other suggestion
presently. Let me know if it recurs.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/