From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2017 - 11:51:55 CDT

Hi,
  The NAMD Energy plugin is largely just a simple graphical interface
that generates the necessary NAMD config file to perform the requested
calculations by re-running NAMD on a trajectory file. The plugin itself
mostly just communicates with NAMD which does all of the work since as
you point out, it would be impossible to separate different force/energy
contributions ex post facto, so these are calculations that have to be
done inside of NAMD itself.

Best,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/