From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2017 - 09:53:12 CDT

Hi,
  This issue is caused by the recent (significant) changes that were made
to the structure of the RCSB PDB web site, that have relocated the PDB files
and changed the way that they are downloaded. This affects all of the
previously released versions of VMD prior to the latest VMD 1.9.4 test versions.

The VMD 1.9.4a7 test version that is currently posted on the VMD
download page was updated to adapt to the new PDB web site structure,
and it works for me when I use both the old "mol pdbload WXYZ" and newer
"mol new WXYZ" commands for a given PDB accession code, WXYZ.

If you have a case that doesn't work with VMD 1.9.4a7, please let us know.