From: Ashar Malik (asharjm_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2017 - 00:35:27 CDT

I guess its something thats changed on the backend.
I recently ran into this and wrote a small script to handle this.

here it is:
puts -nonewline "Enter PDB code: "
flush stdout
set name [gets stdin]
puts "Getting $name"
package require http
set handle [::http::geturl http://files.rcsb.org/view/1HV4.pdb]
set pdb_file [open $name.pdb a]
puts $pdb_file [::http::data $handle]
mol load pdb $name.pdb

you will have to save it into the working directory of vmd

start vmd
in the tkconsole or the shell at the VMD prompt type

source name_of_the_script_file

it will ask for a PDB code -- only enter the 4 letter ID

it will do some webpage parsing - download the file to your working
directory and also as the last line of the code read load it into VMD as
well.

This is not a thoroughly tested fix and probably a plugin update is needed.
But i guess untill then you can use this.

Hope this helps.

Best,
/A

--