From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2017 - 07:59:29 CDT

Hi,
  Try setting the environment variable VMDNOOSPRAY to 1 prior to launching VMD:
Bourne/bash shell:
  export VMDNOOSPRAY=1
csh/tcsh:
  setenv VMDNOOSPRAY 1

That should prevent VMD from instantiating the OSPRay renderer classes
that expect CPUs with >= SSE 4.1...

For the next VMD release I'm working on making VMD do extra checks to
prevent this from being necessary. This was an unexpected surprise with
the behavior of OSPRay 1.[12] that really just wasn't documented, so the
VMD 1.9.3 release didn't have its own tests to avoid this problem.