From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2017 - 09:45:35 CDT

Hi,
  Only the _external_ CPU Tachyon renderer can write the scene geometry to a
".dat" file. All of the "internal" Tachyon variants write images only, and
they do not write (nor can they read) scene geometry to/from .dat files.
You would normally use it like this (just one example):
  render TachyonLOptiXInternal /some/directory/my/image.tga

The OptiX-based GPU-accelerated variant of Tachyon is not (presently)
included in the standalone binary, so for the time being you cannot run
it except from within VMD itself. That being said, you can of course
run VMD in text mode for long batch mode renderings. This is in fact how
we use VMD to render long movies in parallel on supercomputers, using the
MPI-enabled versions of VMD.