From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 - 13:29:29 CDT

Hi,
  Did you recently upgrade your Mac to El Capitan? Did VMD work
immediately prior to the upgrade? If you've never run VMD on this
machine before, then another possibility is that the installation of
another package has modified the MacOS system-wide library search paths
and that this is creating problems for VMD due to a conflict with one
of the shared libraries that VMD is built with. What do you see if you
run these commands:
  printenv | grep LD_
and
  printenv | grep FRAME