From: Ramon Guixà (ramonguixxa_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2017 - 17:36:14 CDT

Hi Josh,

This is actually why I was asking. I remembered I heard something about
this and thought that maybe the functionality was already implemented.
Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Ramon
On 30 Mar 2017 22:11, "John Stone" <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

Hi,
  The answers already posted by others are the best reponse to your
question in the short term. I would just add that I have published
papers that demonstrate preliminary work in VMD where I have
implemented remote video streaming based on the NVIDIA OptiX rendering
API in combination with the NVIDIA VCA GPU clusters to facilitate
high fidelity and high performance remote rendering with remote video
streaming. These features are actually built into VMD 1.9.3 now, however
the typical VMD user doesn't have access to the NVIDIA VCA hardware
at present. I'm currently working on re-implementing the same functionality
in VMD but supporting a much broader range of GPUs, and specifically
targeting GPU-accelerated clusters and supercomputers more generically,
not only the NVIDIA VCA clusters specifically. This work is ongoing
and will eventually encompass both OpenGL display and the
OptiX interactive ray tracing implementation in VMD. When it's ready for
people to try, I will definitely make more noise about it. In the short
term,
you're well advised to try the methods that Josh, Axel and others have
already mentioned. If you want to use a turnkey commercial solution that's
much higher performance than VNC, then you might have a look at NICE DCV
which we run on several of our own remote visualization workstations here.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/