From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2016 - 16:44:00 CST

Hi,
  How large is the trajectory file you're loading? The 32-bit MacOS versions
of VMD can only access about 2GB of memory, so that's a hard limit for
those builds. There isn't a 64-bit build of VMD for MacOS X yet as we
still have to overcome some compatibility issues with FLTK and Tk w/
the Cocoa APIs required for 64-bit MacOS X builds (32-bit VMD builds use
the Carbon API which is stable, but not usable for 64-bit compilations).

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/