From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2016 - 17:49:43 CST

Hi,
  This display issue is probably an issue related to MacOS X Cocoa window
handling since both FLTK and Tk are linked to Cocoa and Apple's design for
Cocoa is not really organized to allow sharing of windowing system operations
among GUI toolkits. I had worked with the FLTK developers to get things
working in a very basic manner with a previous rev of Tk, but it is quite
possible that the latest Tk that Sierra is shipping with may have new
challenges that need to be resolved here.

Regarding the other errors about plugins, most likely that's just an
issue where the plugin builds for one or more of the compiled plugins
didn't complete or they are missing from your .app image in the place
where VMD is looking for them, so they return failures during startup.
Judging by the list you mention below, they are all things that depend
on compiled C/C++ plugins like 'psfgen' etc, so that's the cause I would assume.

I should be able to help you with this in more detail next week after
we're finished with a funding renewal site visit.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/