From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2016 - 17:27:12 CST

Hi Matt,
  At present, the VMD molden plugin loads the data as-is, and
it does not try to compress or discard any "inconsequential" terms.

If your CP2K code is only doing 1/10th or 1/100th of what's in the
file, that likely explains the speed difference you observe vs. the
CPU-only code in VMD since VMD is going to process everything you
send it. For your CP2K approach, what sort of threshold/compression
scheme are you using? How does a user control it? If it is not terribly
complex to evaluate it would probably be possible to add such a control
into VMD for cases like yours where the projection onto gto basis might
lead to a lot of near-zero terms that are necessary for complete numerical
accuracy, but would be complete overkill when performing routine
visualization tasks.

>From your previous email, it is clear that you aren't getting
GPU acceleration, but I would remind/caution that you have to
be running a VMD build that has CUDA enabled to get GPU acceleration.
You should see a CUDA-related startup message that looks
something like this in the VMD text console:
  Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
  Info) Detected 1 available CUDA accelerator:
  Info) [0] GeForce GTX 980 16 SM_5.2 @ 1.22 GHz, 4.0GB RAM, KTO, AE2, ZCP

If you don't see messages like that during startup, then you won't
get the speedup from the GPUs when you go to display the orbitals,
regardless of the size of the basis set etc.

If you do see the CUDA startup messages, but you're still going into
CPU fallback, then I may be able to give you some environment variables
to try to collect more diagnostic info from VMD.

If you don't have a means to post the file locally, could you put it into
a simple Google Drive folder or something similar, or one that I invite
you to drop the file into?