From: Matt Watkins (mattwatkinsuk_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2016 - 16:31:28 CST

Hi,

the hope is to use it for fairly large systems (compared to conventional QC
softwares), so I'm just seeing what is doable.

System I tried is 192 atoms (48 Si and 144 CaF2) with double zeta plus
polarization basis - so up each atom having a D shell, and the basis set is
quite heavy with 6-7 primitive gaussians contracted per shell. I appreciate
this might be fairly heavy, total output size is 125 MB, so I can't easily
directly share. The equivalent step in CP2K costs ~20s on 8 CPU cores
(there are quite some optimizations for the form of basis set etc though),
VMD was ~800s.

I should say that at the moment I am not 'compressing' the output at all -
i.e. just directly printing all MO coefficients, so it is hard to compare
to the cost within the CP2K, where we throw away density matrix elements
below a certain threshold. I suspect I can get a 10-100x compression at
negligible cost in accuracy for visualization by truncating the output at a
given size and trimming data lengths. But I think the plugin has a
threshold?

Thanks for the rapid response, I'd be very interested in working out a way
to get this working nicely. I'll add in some 'compression' to make things
more reasonable and get back in touch,

Matt

P.S. thinking ahead, would it be plausible to get this projection working
with periodic boundary conditions, at least for orthorhombic cells?