From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2016 - 09:43:52 CDT

Hi,
  This issue is very likely a bug in the particular display driver
version that you're running or in the X11 composite extension implementation.

I have seen further discussions of various bugs with composite causing
problems in complex display setups. There are known problems that are as yet
not yet fixed last time I looked at their bug tracking lists. That being said,
it is true that the latest KDE/GNOME are more dependent on the composite
extension. Last I checked it was not easy to disable in the same way
that it used to be. Of course one could always use Xfce or something similar
that doesn't need composite at all. That might be an interesting test case.

I would expect Chimera or PyMol to experience the same issue you see when
you run VMD unless there is something uniquely broken with OpenGL
stencil buffers, which an OpenGL buffer that VMD uses that the other two
probably aren't using.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/