From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2016 - 10:15:00 CDT

Hi,
  Numerical integration of dynamics (of any kind) is only stable when
the integration timestep is shorter than the fastest vibrational mode
present in the system being simulated. In the case of all-atom MD this
means you have to have a timestep short enough to capture the motions of
the lightest atoms with the fasted vibrations, hydrogens. You can't simply
make the timestep larger unless (complicated) schemes are used to handle
the modeling of hydrogens in a different way. This means that
a 2.0fs timestep is normally the upper bound in NAMD at present.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/