From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2016 - 17:06:46 CDT

Hi Olga,

Could you be a bit more specific? I happen to have recently acquired
some experience in generating large spheres of repeated molecules. What
I found to be the most difficult was generating approximately uniform
points on the spherical surface (which I solved by looking into
Fibonacci Spheres, which are approximately uniform for large enough N).
 From there, each molecule needs to be reoriented so that it is pointing
the right (or in a random) direction.

I don't think VMD has an automatic tool to do this, but conceptually its
a straightforward problem in scripting, which I encourage you to pursue.

-Josh Vermaas