From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 10 2015 - 16:57:51 CST

Hi Peter,

I've noticed this behavior too, but I actually prefer it this way, as it
DOESN'T group them together in the launcher. This lets me pick between
the 3 or 4 active VMD windows I have alot more easily. :) More
generally, VMD isn't the only program that does this, and the
"questionmark box" is the default for when Ubuntu can't figure out what
the window should otherwise be called. This problem isn't unique to VMD.
Pymol and Chimera have the same behavior.

-Josh Vermaas