From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 16 2015 - 17:01:34 CDT

Hi,
  I'm well aware of WebGL... I've written code in WebGL before.

I think you're confused about WebGL vs. exporting a scene.
WebGL is a way of writing software for graphics in Javascript, it' just
a set of javascript bindings for OpenGL. Web is not a scene description
format. All of the modern browser-based methods for displaying 3-D
models rely on WebGL, including X3DOM, the components you provided
URL links for, and many others.

What is it that you want from VMD that the existing tools that you
are already familiar with can't do? You said that Chimera didn't
have many options. Is there something you're expecting VMD to do
that Chimera's export tool can't do yet? Have you tried the existing
X3D model formats VMD already exports?

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/