From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 10 2015 - 14:09:21 CDT

Yes. For those kinds of applications, what I do is I put the commands I
want into a rendering script (ie. set up my atomselections and views
using the tcl interface), and run vmd with the -dispdev text and -size
4800 4800 (or whatever I want the resolution to be) to render it for me.
In principle, the only limit then to the resolution is the available GPU
memory and how long you are willing to wait for your result. The easiest
way to set it up is to use the vmd-save state feature, save a state, and
then make a script something like this:

source vmdstate.vmd
render TachyonLOptiX filename.ppm ; #Check the argument. I'm operating
off memory here, and liable to get it wrong.

-Josh Vermaas