From: Martin, Erik W (Erik.Martin_at_stjude.org)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2015 - 17:38:36 CST

I suppose you could just go into the pdb file as text and and just delete the sidechain atoms manually. If you are concerned with numbering, you could open that pdb file then rewrite it in vmd.

However, slightly more elegantly, you could make these commands in the tk console of vmd

% set protein [atomselect top "all and not {sidechain and resid X}]

% $protein writepdb filename.pdb

..where X is the resid of of the residue you want to remove the sidechain from and filename is your new pdb.

Hope this helps,

Erik