From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2014 - 10:00:13 CDT

Hi,
  What opearing system is your machine running? It sounds to me like
you are running NAMD on a machine that has a 4GB file size limit, perhaps
a very old version of Linux, Windows, or something similar? Another
possibility is that the filesystem is corrupt and that is why trying
to open the file even with fopen() yields an error. To give you further
assistance more information is needed from your side, about the
operating system(s) you're using, the filesystem that the DCD file is/was
being stored on, etc.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/