From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2014 - 11:49:12 CDT

No, I'm not usually interested in average structures unless I've aligned
them first. If you open up any of these trajectories individually, I'm
sure you'll find that the interesting pieces of the simulation "drift"
over time. This drift makes the literal average structure (which is what
you calculated) not a particularly useful thing to look at. To remedy
this, use an RMSD-based alignment first to eliminate the drift for your
solute, then calculate the average structure of the solute, which is
probably more like what you are after. Average solvent structure is
likely going to be messy, as even if there is a structure, the rapid
exchange is going to make it complicated to calculate.
-Josh Vermaas