From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2014 - 21:05:56 CDT

Hi,
  VMD is more optimized on Linux than on Windows, and particularly with
respect to using large physical memory (e.g. your 16GB). The Linux versions
of VMD also have a number of technical features that the Windows versions
don't have at the moment. The Windows versions will catch up, but it takes
time.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/