From: Tristan Croll (tristan.croll_at_qut.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2014 - 01:17:05 CDT

Hi Luis,

This is an excellent idea! In the same spirit, please allow me to add my own small contribution at https://github.com/tristanc1/torsionplot. It’s an extension/replacement of the Ramachandran plugin, which uses the OpenGL window to plot selected torsions in two or three dimensions as necessary. A little prettier than the old version (with lots of scope for personalisation), and breaks the protein torsions down into the different cases characterised by the Richardson lab (http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/databases/rotamer.php). It’s fairly straightforwardly extensible to different torsions as needed – a few lines of code to define each one, and an OpenDX map for the distribution; I’ve included most of the standard glycan torsions, for example, albeit with fairly crappy statistically based maps.

Anyway, it’s not something that’s a key focus of mine – I built it only because I got tired of continually running my structures past MolProbity online, and because I needed a relatively easy way to check my glycans for reasonableness. A lot more that could be done with it... a few examples:

- it currently lists outliers for the chosen case in the TkConsole. This could be built upon to focus the view upon particular outliers and set up an IMD simulation a la the chirality and cispeptide plugins.

- Since the data structure is just a pseudo-molecule with one atom taken from each residue and then moved to its coordinates in phi-psi or phi-psi-omega space, it would be a very simple extension to plot a whole trajectory.

Cheers,

Tristan