From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 17:45:08 CST

Hi,
  Take a look at the script I just posted to VMD-L for merging multi-frame
structures into a single PDB file. It implements much of what you need to
write out the N pdb files and merge them back together again. Take that
script and change the atom selection as needed and you ought to be able to
solve the problem you're working on as well. The script I wrote breaks up
the structure by chains since that worked for the particular
multi-structure PDB file I tested, but you could do it at whatever
granularity you need to make it work.