From: Ajasja Ljubetič (ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2014 - 18:20:55 CDT

Hi J!
(as a side note, anonymous mailing list participants are generally
frowned-upon here; any reason not to introduce your self?)

Anyway, the method has recently been discussed (it's always a good idea to
search the mailing list archives first)
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/23235.html

The simple solution is

residue % 2 == 0; # select every second residue

regards,
Ajasja