From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 20:02:26 CST

Just to provide more followup info on this:
  VMD has no inherent limits on the maximum size of the OpenGL
graphics window. If your graphics card had a 65,000x65,000
resolution display, VMD would work just fine on it. The problem
is that some of the Linux video drivers incorrectly enable features
such as multisample antialiasing, stencil buffers, and stereo in
In the NVidia cards instead of crashing, their cards start paging video
memory and the performance suffers drastically, ATIs driver apparently
isn't handling this situation well at all. In truth, if the video card
doesn't have enough memory to enable these features, it should be
telling VMD 'no' when VMD asks for an OpenGL context with all of those
features enabled. If they answer 'yes', then VMD should be able to
resize the OpenGL window to the size of the entire screen and not
encounter problems. The slow rendering and/or crashing people have
observed with large window sizes are a direct result of the current
implementation of these ATI and NVidia OpenGL drivers. I'd strongly
recommend that people report these problems to ATI and NVidia when
they occur so that these bugs are fixed in future versions of their
video drivers. Most companies have a very limited number of driver
engineers, so they tend to follow the "squeaky wheel gets the grease"
prioritization when fixing bugs.

  John