From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 18:57:25 CST

Jeff,
  You can use the "graphics" or "draw" commands to render most anything
you might want to within VMD. To make something that behaves like the
built-in stage in VMD, you can run a script to generate a bunch of
geometry via 'graphics' or 'draw' commands, and then you can toggle
that graphics molecule to be 'fixed' so it doesn't rotate with the
rest of the molecules. So, you'll want to create your geometry in a
separate molecule from the rest. For draw command examples, have
a look at the VMD script library and some of the user's guide
examples. Here's a simple example:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/3Dgraph/