From: Oliver Beckstein (oliver_at_biop.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 08:06:33 CST

Hi All,

sometimes VMD decides to start up without giving me an OpenGL graphics
window. The OpenGL display window is just grey, no spinning VMD logo or
axes. Once this has occurred I typically have to log out of my X session
to be able to run VMD in display mode again.

Sometimes I can run VMD remotely and display to the local machine (having
ssh handle all the DISPLAY / Xauth stuff) and this might or might not
work (but I want to avoid running VMD remotely, see also comments on this
list why).

I have no idea how the OpenGL stuff works so I would be grateful for any
hints what to do. My home directory is on a nfs served file system---just
in case it might have to do something with time stamps of auth files.
Further system information:

VMD 1.8.2 on RedHat Linux 8.0,
XFree86 Version 4.2.1 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.2.1-23)
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

Info) VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.2 (December 4, 2003)
Info) OpenGL renderer: Quadro4 900 XGL/PCI/SSE
Info) Features: STENCIL RN MTX
Info) Textures: 2-D (4096x4096), 3-D (512x512x512), Multitexture (4)
vmd >

Thanks for your input,
Oliver

--
Oliver Beckstein * oliver_at_biop.ox.ac.uk
 http://sansom.biop.ox.ac.uk/oliver/