From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2013 - 22:56:17 CST

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Subbusinger N <subbu813_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

your system has 440466 atoms, for each atom you need 3*4 bytes of
storage to store the position in single precision, and then you have
3400 frames. if you put this together, you need: 440466*3*4*3400 bytes
= ~16.7 GB of RAM to store the coordinates alone. obviously, you don't
have that much, so the out-of-memory-killer procedure of the kernel
will kill VMD when you run out of memory.

axel.

p.s.: of course the 32-bit version will die earlier, since you only
have ~2GB of address space available.