From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2013 - 13:09:04 CST

Vlastimil,
  If your compilation of Tk is misbehaving, but our pre-compiled VMD
binaries work okay, I would check what options were used when you
compiled your Tk, and consider disabling antialiased fonts and see if
that makes any difference. Are you able to run an Tk scripts with
just the Tcl/Tk builds you did on your machine? In other words, is
the problem isolated to Tcl/Tk on your machine, or do you have a
Tk GUI script that works in 'wishx' but fails within VMD? It would be
useful to narrow down the problem and see if it is purely an issue
with your Tcl/Tk, or if it is something unique to running within VMD.