From: Louis Smith (louis.smith88_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2013 - 11:41:07 CST

Hello,

I am attempting to create a movie of a solvated short polypeptide, the
trajectory for which I generated a while ago. Viewing and playing the
trajectory movie-style in vmd works fine, but rendering it into an mpeg
seems to have some issue. On the console, I get the incremental log outputs
that say how long each frame took to render, but at the end of the (long)
processing time for all the frames, when ppmtompeg is called by the
program, it gives the following message:

/usr/bin/ppmtompeg: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/ppmtompeg: undefined
symbol: overflow_add
Movie generation complete.

This does produce an mpeg file in the correct directory and with the name I
specified, but when the mpeg is played, tthe player produces an error
saying that there are no frames in the file specified.

I have successfully (and recently) installed the entirety of the netpbm
package, having verified carefully in the compile script that all of the
prerequisite libraries needed were installed before making the
installation. My operating system is Ubuntu 13.10. Note that
/usr/bin/ppmtompeg is the place that ppmtompeg is installed on my system.
In the terminal, asking for the version information for ppmtompeg gives the
following result

~$ ppmtompeg --version
ppmtompeg: Using libnetpbm from Netpbm Version: Netpbm 10.47.46
ppmtompeg: Compiled Wed Nov 13 12:28:22 EST 2013 by user "root"
ppmtompeg: BSD defined
ppmtompeg: RGB_ENV='RGBDEF'
ppmtompeg: RGBENV= 'RGBDEF' (env vbl is unset)
louis_at_thetower:~$

I'm fairly baffled by all of this, and haven't found this sort of error
message on any forums remotely related to vmd or ppmtompeg via googling for
it, so your advice is much needed.

Thank you,
Louis