From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2013 - 08:59:07 CDT

Hi,
  While it makes no difference in regards to the original question,
as he would need to compile from source for a useful Python anyway, we
have continued compiling the 64-bit Linux binaries with Python enabled,
in part to ensure that the code gets exercised locally, even though it
is still the case that anyone that really wants to use Python seriously
would still want to compile VMD from source against their local Python
installation for best compatibility with their existing Python libraries.

I know Axel already knows this, but for anyone else that's curious what
features were compiled into the VMD binary they are using, you can run
this command:
  vmdinfo options

So on VMD 1.9.1 on 64-bit Linux, it looks like this:
vmd > vmdinfo options
LINUXAMD64 OPENGL FLTK TK ACTC CUDA IMD LIBSBALL XINERAMA XINPUT LIBTACHYON VRPN NETCDF TCL PYTHON PTHREADS NUMPY SILENT ICC

On one of the most recent 64-bit Linux builds of VMD 1.9.2, it looks like this:
vmd > vmdinfo options
LINUXAMD64 OPENGL OPENGLPBUFFER FLTK TK ACTC CUDA IMD LIBSBALL XINERAMA XINPUT LIBTACHYON VRPN NETCDF TCL PYTHON PTHREADS NUMPY SILENT ICC

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/