From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2013 - 10:40:22 CDT

Hi,
  There isn't currently a feature for interpreting the forward/back
motion of the SpaceNavigator as scaling, but I could add one if that
would be helpful to you. It would be a new control mode. Let me know
if that's all you need or if there are other things you would find
helpful when using the SpaceNavigator for input.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/