From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 10:12:35 CST

Dear Manuel,
  At present VMD doesn't gracefully deal with trajectories containing
varying numbers of atoms. You could load each timestep as a separate
molecule and then animate them by toggling the molecules on/off with
a script, but this isn't nearly as nice as doing it the normal way.

If you try the "padding" trick you describe, you'll have to make sure
that the order of the atoms remains consistent from timestep to timestep.
Let us know if you need help getting one of these two techniques working.

Thanks,