From: Avisek Das (avisekchem_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2013 - 11:04:36 CDT

Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I was using VMD 1.9.1 (the precompiled
binary) without any problem. But recently I encountered some slow response
time while running VMD and thought that I needed to update the graphics
driver. I installed the correct NVIDIA driver from their website. Now VMD
GUI won't start, it exits with the following message

Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9.1 (February 1, 2012)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 8 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 5198MB (87%)
Warning) Detected a mismatch between CUDA runtime and GPU driver
Warning) Check to make sure that GPU drivers are up to date.
Info) No CUDA accelerator devices available.
Warning) Detected X11 'Composite' extension: if incorrect display occurs
Warning) try disabling this optional X server feature.
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".
ERROR) The X server does not support the OpenGL GLX extension. Exiting ...
Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9.1 (February 1, 2012)
Info) Unable to create OpenGL window.

It works in text mode but the OpenGL window is not starting.

Please help me sort this problem out.

Thanks,
Avisek