From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2013 - 15:11:51 CST

Hi,
  You say you want to compute "intermediate steps" in a rotation.
What is it that you plan to do with them? Depending on what it is, you
might be able to interpolation between the starting and final orientation
using a quaternion, or something similar, without having to reverse-engineer
the RMS alignment code in VMD -- the fitting routines in VMD internally
compute a translation matrix and rotation matrix in two discrete steps,
but the rotation matrix is computed in an iterative Jacobi solver,
not in terms of a sequence of separate rotation steps.