From: Grace Brannigan (grace.brannigan_at_rutgers.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2013 - 01:01:27 CST

Hi Chola,

The program wants just the text string that goes inside the atomselect
command. You are passing it the whole atom selection when you use $seltext1
and $seltext2 - i.e., you've already set them to an atom selection using
atomselect. Then the procedure is trying to run atom select again.

I am not sure if there are any conventions on whether the script-writer
should directly pass selections, or should only pass the text and allow the
procedure to make the selection from that text. You'll find both, I think,
but maybe there is an official vmd standard that I'm not aware of. In any
case, when you're using a new procedure you'll need to figure out whether
you should pass it just the text for the selection or the selection itself.
There are usually hints, for instance when the variable is named "seltext"
rather than "sel" it means just the text.

Hope this helps,
Grace

--
Grace Brannigan, Ph.D.