From: Martin, Erik W (Erik.Martin_at_stjude.org)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2012 - 19:19:23 CST

Yeah, "fortunately" my job failed to get properly assigned to nodes for unrelated issues so I managed to catch this problem before any actual calculations started. While, that script probably provides a quick and dirty solution... I found it much easier to just import the structure into another program. I have a hard time believing that this is really how the tool in VMD works and still think I must be missing something. I've never used VMD to look at QM outputs or generate inputs before - but with all the atom selection and manipulation tools already build in I feel it could be a great QM interface. It could be super slick for setting up ONIOM calculations. If it could render orbitals and display partial charges and whatnot, it would be better than GuassView... of course I guess what I'm really describing is GaussView with a better interface and is likely a lot of work for the developers thats beyond the scope of what the aim of VMD is.

-Erik