From: Pietro Amodeo (pamodeo_at_icb.cnr.it)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2012 - 12:58:26 CST

John,

yes, the dedicated memory is only 128MB, but with NVidia 295.XX drivers
VMD worked fluently.

I turned off the X11 composite extension, but no influence on FPS rate
was observed.

Just two additional (and probably useless or confusing) observations:

1) the FPS rate is ~14 FPS when no molecule at all (only axes, no VMD
logo) is displayed, ~12 FPS with a ~330-residue protein and ~10 FPS when
the same protein in solvated in a water box;

2) there is some other parameter determining the status of the PC that
can adversely affect vmd performances. Probably, resuming after suspend
mode determines such condition, since, even after a fresh restart of X
server, vmd performances dropped to the horrible 3 FPS observed with
304.xx and 310.10-beta drivers. However they returned to the values
shown in 1) soon after reboot (even starting and exiting vmd several
times). In any case this behaviour is only observed (and we can't
univocally assign it to suspend mode since before it entered the suspend
mode the laptop worked for a full day with different programs) with
310.19, since 304.xx and 310.10-beta performed badly even after a fresh
reboot.

Cheers,
Pietro