From: Pietro Amodeo (pamodeo_at_icb.cnr.it)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2012 - 14:03:38 CST

John,

anther update to the strange behaviour of the 8400M GS laptop:

1) I can confirm that with 310.19 drivers suspend mode (that never was
a problem with 295.xx and older drivers, since this PC has been
suspended for tenths of times between reboots with no performance issues
with vmd or other programs) causes severe degradation (4-5 FPS for no
molecule) in vmd performances that can't be cured just with a X restart,
but requires a PC reboot;

2) if the vmd graphic window is (even slightly) resized, performances
are terribly affected, since with the solvated 330-residue protein of
our previous tests, FPS can either increase from ~12-15 to 20-30 (see 3)
or drop to 4-5, when, using any representation, the windows is partly
obscured by the system menubar. On the contrary, it's not very affected
(if any) by overlap with other (I tried terminal) windows;

3) for a given optimal windows size FPS for the 330-residue protein +
water/ion varies from 4-5 (all-licorice) to 20 (protein new
cartoons-water lines) or 30 (simple representation like all-lines or
protein new cartoons-water/ions invisible).

I hope these symptoms may be more suggestive to you than they are to
me...

Cheers,
Pietro