From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2012 - 11:25:48 CST

Pietro,
  One thing I notice is that your GPU only as 128MB of memory.
This is a small enough amount of memory that it could present a
challenge if you've got a few things soaking up GPU RAM.
Have you tried turning off the X11 composite / compiz extension?
The compositing window manager eats GPU memory, so that might
alleviate some of the performance issue you're seeing.
I would try that first thing. If that doesn't work, I could try
giving you a VMD that uses a shallower bit-depth framebuffer and
see if that has any impact.