From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 11:14:27 CDT

Hi,
  The step you listed aren't exactly right.
If the plugin is correctly written, all you should have to do
is to unpack the plugin into the correct directory (with the other
VMD plugins) and then add the "vmd_install_extension" command
either to their .vmdrc, or to the VMD "loadplugins.tcl" script.
It should not be necessary to add the "source" command.