From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2012 - 22:19:10 CDT

Hi,
  In practice the limitation would likely be the number
of USB, FireWire, or RS-232 ports needed for the input devices
you want to connect. I don't think there's any limit to the
number of VRPN servers VMD could potentially connect to.

For input devices like the SpaceNavigator that have window-system
driver code and/or driver libraries built-into VMD, it will depend on
the limitations of the individual drivers or libraries in use.
For example, I don't think the normal Win32 or X-Windows APIs
used by the SpaceNavigator will work for more than one device.
To use more than one, you would likely need to use a direct
USB HID driver of some kind rather than going through the
windowing system.

We have previously setup multiple Sensable haptic devices in a
single VMD session, using VRPN servers for each one.

Cheers,
  John