From: Vlastimil Zíma (zima_at_karlov.mff.cuni.cz)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2012 - 04:07:03 CDT

Hi,

after several attempts I still can not resolve troubles with tk fonts
when I compile VMD.

I am using 64bit Debian with following vmd configuration:

./configure LINUXAMD64 OPENGL FLTK TK IMD XINPUT NETCDF CONTRIB TCL
PYTHON PTHREADS NUMPY NOSTATICPLUGINS

and tk packages:
libfltk1.3-dev 1.3.0-8 (I also tried fltk1.1)
tcl-dev 8.5.0-2
tk-dev 8.5.0-2

Still timeline, sequence viewer and other plugins which uses customized
fonts has invisible texts. I tried anything I found on this mailing
list, including LC_ALL=C in environment and $HOME/.tkconrc file. I also
tried a simple script with uses custom font ||based on code of timeline
which works:

> tclsh
package require Tk
font create tkFixedTimeline -family Courier -size -12
ttk::label .l -text "Attention!" -font tkFixedTimeline
grid .l -row 0

This shows nice small box with monofont "Attention!" in it.

I will be glad for any help which would help to resolve this problem.
Vlastimil