From: Teletchéa Stéphane (steletch_at_biomedicale.univ-paris5.fr)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 06:08:23 CST

Le jeu 06/11/2003 à 09:59, Alexandre Vakhrouchev a écrit :
> Hi everyone!!
>
> I faced following problem: VMD session hangs while using it
> on ASUS laptop with Linux Mandrake 9.1 installed. Befor it
> was OK with Red Hat 9.0 on the same node.
>
> I have ATI Mobility Radeon M6 16M graphical chipset,
> VMD starts and works properly for a while,
> but then it hangs when I resize or perform some
> other operations. VMD sessionblocking all
> system, i have to reboot using ssh-connection
> from other host.

If you can connect via ssh, the systems didn't hang, rather, you need to
kill and restart X (kill -9 <PID> should help in that case).

> I think its Mandrake problems, I found it rather
> buggy)))

You are wrong : it is an XFree problem, you have certainly selected the
accelerated driver which is rather experimental in this release (and it
is suggested likt this). You should probably install ATI's binaries to
have it working properly.

On another hand, i'm using Mandrake for 4 years now, and the only
problem i encountered was with the kernel itself not holding correctly
the way pages are used in athlons, but this has been corrected since
2.4.18 now, and since that, i have encountered no problem.

> Does anybody have ideas why this error occur?

Certainly due to the 'experimental' caracter of the XFree86 driver, try
with ati's binary.

I suppose you get the same kind of troubles when using different OpenGL
applications (like games : tuxracer, bzflag, ...)

> Best regards,
>
> Alex

Stef

--
12:56:28 up 23 days, 23:31, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
http://www.steletch.org