From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2012 - 14:40:12 CDT

Hi,
  To use a Spacenavigator with IMD, you need to set it to
"tracker" mode, either by clicking the second button until it
reports that it's in tracker mode, or by running this command:
  spaceball mode tracker

You'll also need to have lines like these in your .vmdsensors file:
device SpaceballTracker sballtracker://local/vmdlocal
device SpaceballButtons sballbuttons://local/vmdlocal

Aside from these options that use the built-in Spacenavigator support
in VMD, you could also run a VRPN server and register it with VMD in
the same way that you would do so for a haptic device.