From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2012 - 19:58:48 CDT

As far as I know, most MD engines will use multiple periodicities (i.e. n=1 & n=3 from your data) additively in the energy evaluation; which is why we put that option in ffTK. If you look through the standard CHARMM distribution, it is a fairly common way of fitting complex dihedral profiles, but is not without its drawbacks and limitations. For a good discussion, see:

http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~kenno/cgenff/faq.html#multi

Chris