From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2012 - 11:57:29 CDT

Hi,
  If you can store your trajectory in a format VMD can read, you could
use the VMD atom selection mechanism to do the sort of calculations
you're asking about, by following the various VMD tutorial
atom selection and scripting examples. If you can't load your trajectory
directly into VMD, then you would also need to write the code to read in
the data for yourself, and do the spherical distance checks for yourself
rather than using atom selections.