From: James Ryley (james_at_ryley.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2012 - 20:53:14 CDT

Hi All,

I'm new to VMD, trying to set up a nice machine for its use, and I hate to
raise what seems to be a perennial issue (though most of the previous posts
seem to be about OS X) but is the SpaceNavigator 6DOF controller supposed to
"just work" with VMD 1.9.1 in Windows?

I'm running Win7 SP1, 64 bit, installed the SpaceNavigator, rebooted many
times, relaunched VMD many time, and the SpaceNavigator works fine with its
config and testing software, and it works in Google Earth. However, no
device shows up in the control panel that I can identify as it (presumably
not a problem since it does work with software aside from VMD, but I am not
sure) and it does nothing in VMD. Perusal of the VMD documentation indicates
that such support is built-in now, but the following URLs do not make it
clear to me if anything has to be done to enable this:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node34.html

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node36.html

One of the other help files refers to .vmdsensors, but I am guessing this is
a Linux-only file since I don't have such a file on my system.

VMD is not detecting any joysticks, assuming that is what the SpaceNavigator
would be (see start-up output below).

Any help would be appreciated!

Info) VMD for WIN32, version 1.9.1 (February 1, 2012)

Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/

Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu

Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:

Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual

Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.

Info) -------------------------------------------------------------

Info) Multithreading available, 8 CPUs detected.

Info) Free system memory: 4010MB (97%)

Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...

Info) Detected 2 available CUDA accelerators:

Info) [0] GeForce 210 2 SM_1.2 @ 1.40 GHz, 435MB RAM, KTO, OIO, ZCP

Info) [1] GeForce 210 2 SM_1.2 @ 1.40 GHz, 435MB RAM, KTO, OIO, ZCP

Info) OpenGL renderer: GeForce 210/PCI/SSE2

Info) Features: STENCIL MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVFGS)

Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.

Info) Textures: 2-D (8192x8192), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)

Info) No joysticks found. Joystick interface disabled.

Info) Dynamically loaded 69 plugins in directory:

Info) C:/Program Files (x86)/University of
Illinois/VMD/plugins/WIN32/molfile

vmd > Opening http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/ ...

Sincerely,
James R