From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 19:27:32 CDT

Ran,
  One possibility I've been kicking around is to optionally read in
atom radii from Charm parameter files etc, if we can come up with a script
or plugin to do so. I"m guessing we'd start with a script of some sort.
We recently had other needs in this regard in the process of developing
a plugin for running APBS electrostatics calculations from within VMD,
since they need a "pqr" file which is a hacked version of PDB with
charge and radii added in place of two of the normal columns.
You can set the radii with a simple Tcl script that modifies
the radii via an atom selection, but other than these "pqr" files, I don't
know of too many file formats that provide radii information. If you look
around, most other viz programs are using various heuristics to assign
atom radii since most files don't provide it. If you're interested in
assigning radii yourself using a script, let me know and I can give
you a few pointers on that.

Thanks,